Sourcetree is a free Git client for Windows and Mac that provides developers with a User-friendly environment to work on Git repositories.
But many users are facing an issue today after the recent Windows Update. And That issue is “Sourcetree is not starning on Windows”. Don’t worry! You have come to the correct place.
In this article, you will understand why Sourcetree is not opening, how to fix it step by step and more. So continue reading!
How to Fix Sourcetree Not Starting on Windows?
Sourcetree Not Starting on Windows can’t be fixed in just one way. But after doing a lot of study, the following is true. It will definitely help you figure out what’s going on.
1. Clear the Current Update
Go to the “Atlassian” folder and delete all the changes that are there right now. Updates like this often fix bugs and slowdowns. It might help you fix the problem with Sourcetree not starting on Windows. Here is how you can clear the updates.
- Open the File Explorer
- Go to This PC
- Open the Local Disk (C:).
- Now, go to Users > Your user > View > Show > Hidden items.
- Select the App Data and go to Local.
- Open the Atlassian.
- Delete all folders except the “SourceTree” folder.
- Then Open SourceTree and complete the registration process.
Note: You can also find the “Atlassian” folder by searching for “%appdata%” in Windows, then clicking on the “AppData” tab and opening the “Local” folder.
2. Uninstall and Reinstall The Client
The Client can be uninstalled and reinstalled as a second way to fix Sourcetree Not Starting on Windows. Here’s how to remove the Client and return it to your computer.
- By using the Windows search, Search for Control Panel.
- Click “Uninstall a program.”
- Tap to Uninstall by pressing the right click.
Follow the steps to reinstall the Client after you remove it.
- Go to this link and click on “Download for Windows.”
- Go through the Installation process and wait till the installation is completed.
- Open Sourcetree and check if the issue is resolved or not.
3. Update Your Windows and Your Internet Explorer to the Latest Versions
Another way to fix Sourcetree not starting on Windows is to update Windows and Internet Explorer to the most recent versions. Follow the steps below to do this.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Go to System and Security.
- Open Windows Update.
- Allow the update to go through all the phases.
- Ensure that you restart it.
- Now, load the Sourcetree again.
Once you’ve updated both parts, check again to see if Sourcetree Not Starting on Windows error is fixed.
4. Miscellaneous Method
Many people tried this way to get Sourcetree to start on Windows, but it didn’t work. The method has been successful for them. Try this way to see if it works for you.
- Navigate to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Atlassian
- Under there, you will see SourceTree.exe_Url_RandomGuid
- Delete all the style folders available. You will be left with one golder called Soyrcetree.
- Now, start the Sourcetree. It will rebuild that settings file.
Once you are done with the whole process, check to see if it worked. Even though many people claimed it worked wonders for them.
How can I help Sourcetree?
Sourcetree is a good choice if you want to handle GIT repositories.
Does Sourcetree need Command line interactions?
No, the user-friendly GUI interface is an important part of it. It has definitely done away with the need to deal with the Command line.
How to fix Sourcetree Not Starting on Windows?
Cleat the current update, uninstall and reinstall the Client and Update Your Windows and Your Internet Explorer to the Latest Versions.
What Is Git?
Git is a system for keeping track of changes to code that helps developers keep track of and handle those changes.
Linus Torvalds made Git, which lets programmers make different versions of their code and keep track of who changed what and when. It is used in the business of making software.
Sourcetree is a powerful version control tool because it works with both GIT and mercurial. Because of this, you can’t afford to stay away from it for too long. So it’s essential to find the fixes as soon as possible. The good news is that the error Sourcetree Not Starting on Windows can be fixed, and there are several ways to do so. Some of them are in the story you just read.
This post will help you in some way. Let us know if something is missing by writing in the comments area. We also look forward to hearing from you. You can find this and a lot more like it on our site. ThankYou