What to do in case of a soft erection? Possible causes and treatments
A soft erection, which can also be called erectile dysfunction, will prevent you from keeping your erection long enough to have sex. In some, more serious cases, you may not be able to get an erection strong enough to penetrate your partner.
If a soft bandage can seem catastrophic to you, and be very disabling in your sex life, do not panic. Indeed, it may be a temporary problem. It is indeed necessary to wait at least 3 months for recurrent disorders to see a specialist.
The first step is to determine the cause of your soft erection.
- What is a soft erection?
- What are the causes of soft erection?
- What if your problem is psychological?
- What Are the Treatments for Soft Erection?
- When to consult a doctor ?
- How to prevent soft erection?
1 What is a soft erection?
When you bandage, your cock will become rigid because it will be soaked with blood. For this, it must be stimulated so that the muscles at its base can relax and welcome the blood flow to the cavernous bodies of your penis. This is commonly referred to as an erection.
However, several elements ( psychological, but also physical ) can stop the machine and cause a soft erection. This means that you will have difficulties, or even be unable to obtain or maintain an erection sufficient to be able to penetrate your partner. However, that does not mean that you are not going to be able to feel pleasure. Not even to cum and ejaculate.
Also be careful to differentiate between a temporary disorder (you are tired, have drunk too much, or are momentarily stressed) and a lasting situation. As we saw above, we only talk about erectile dysfunction if they are repeated for each of your reports. And let it last for more than three months.
2 What are the causes of soft erection?
To have an erection that could be considered “normal”, you must be in good health. Both psychologically and physically. And in particular not to suffer from any nervous, hormonal, muscular, or circulatory disorders. The chances of having a soft erection increase with age. In any case, they are much more frequent when you are over the age of 50. And more than half of men with erectile dysfunction are past that age.
In 2013, The Journal of Sexual Medicine reported that 26% of men between the ages of 17 and 40 have difficulty getting an erection. These cases range from moderate to severe.
Also, pay attention to the aggravating factors represented by the consumption of tobacco and alcohol. But also the weight problems.
The risk of smoking for erectile health is due to the effects of the chemicals in cigarettes on the blood vessels in the penis. An erection occurs when the arteries in the penis dilate and fill with blood after receiving signals from the nerves in the penis. The nerves respond to signals of sexual arousal from the brain. Even if the nervous system is functioning well, an erection may not be physically possible if the blood vessels are in poor condition from smoking ( source ).
Heavy alcohol consumption is linked to a higher risk of sexual dysfunction. There is indeed a direct link between the number of drinks you drink and the frequency of your problems in terms of sexual performance.
According to a weight-loss study, more than 30% of the men who participated returned to normal sexual function. These men lost an average of 14 kg over a 2-year period. In addition to weight loss, these men saw a decrease in oxidative and inflammatory markers. In comparison, only 5% of men in the control group recovered erectile function.
To understand the cause of a soft erection, it is also necessary to understand the various external parameters that will precede it. Your erection depends on:
- your sexual arousal : and therefore your libido and your hormonal health;
- desire : which is transmitted from your brain to your sex through your nervous system;
- the arrival of blood to your sex : which depends on your blood circulation.
Your soft erection can also be caused by physical causes. Here are the main ones:
- A problem with your vascular system . Some vascular diseases like atherosclerosis, or the buildup of plaque in your arteries can prevent blood from flowing normally to your genitals.
- Diabetes : Almost half of people with diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction. Indeed, the instability of your blood sugar level can disrupt your hormonal system, but also your blood circulation. And therefore the sexual stimulation that will generate your erection.
Boston University Medical Center reports that about half of men diagnosed with type 2 diabetes will develop erection difficulties within five to ten years of their diagnosis.
If these men also have heart disease, their chances of becoming impotent are even greater. However, the results of a 2014 study suggest that if you have diabetes but adopt a healthier lifestyle, you can reduce your diabetes symptoms and improve your sexual health.
These lifestyle habits include a balanced diet and regular physical exercise.
- Hypertension : High blood pressure prevents the arteries carrying blood in the penis from dilating as they should. It also causes the penile muscle to lose its ability to relax. Therefore, there is not enough blood circulating in the sex to make it rigid.
3 What if your problem is psychological?
Start by de-dramatizing. Indeed, whatever your age, more than 40% of men admit to having already encountered this problem. If your soft erection is caused by a psychological disorder, solutions may be considered to address it. Start by communicating with your partner. You can do it alone or with the help of a sex therapist. This specialist can help you pinpoint what is stuck in your relationship.
If stress is the cause of your erectile dysfunction, avoid anti-anxiety medications which may make the situation worse. Prefer natural solutions like meditation or yoga.
Also, take this erection problem as the opportunity to rediscover your sexuality. You can for example lengthen the duration of your foreplay and vary the caresses. In any case, take your time and take advantage of this moment to be more complicit with your partner. And let your excitement build gradually.
Also, don’t be ashamed to start penetrating it even if your erection is not as strong as you would like. The humidity and pressure that her vagina will put on your penis can help. The sensations she will feel will also be pleasant for your partner.
You can also learn how to strengthen your perineum. And especially the muscles that you use to urinate. By keeping the blood at the level of your sex, it will serve as a reserve during your sexual intercourse. And will therefore significantly improve the quality of your erection.
4 What are the treatments for soft erection?
If the problem is physiological, your first instinct should be to see a doctor. Only he can prescribe the treatments that will allow you to find a stronger erection. Here are the main ones.
- Oral treatments. Some of the most popular solutions for treating a soft erection are oral treatments, such as hard pills .
- Local treatments. You may also be prescribed local treatment. Start with the insertion of a suppository in your urethra to help the muscles of your penis relax. Or even substances that will allow you to have a better quality erection. Again, these solutions are only available by prescription.
- Penile prostheses. As a last resort, your doctor may suggest that you have a prosthesis. This solution will only be advanced if all other treatments have failed. Or are not suitable for your situation (especially if you have diabetes and oral treatments are ineffective). Be careful, however, to think carefully before making such a decision. In addition to being definitive, it does indeed represent certain risks.
- There are three types of prosthesis: rigid, semi-rigid or inflatable: in this case, you will need to use a pump to fill the parts inside your cavernous bodies with physiological fluid. And the satisfaction rate of men who have benefited from a penile prosthesis is between 90 and 99%.
5 When to see a doctor?
Before going to see him, you must wait until your soft erection is persistent. Indeed, such treatments will be neither necessary nor useful if you are simply going through a phase of occasional sexual breakdowns.
It is generally advisable to wait until these disorders persist for more than 3 months. And that they cause real pain of a psychological or physiological nature.
6 How to prevent soft erection?
Even if you suffer from a soft erection, know that this problem can be solved very easily. And that it is by no means reversible. You can also avoid it by taking certain precautions. And by adopting a healthier lifestyle.
- Eat a healthier diet . In particular, avoid foods that are too fatty, sweet or too salty.
- Exercise on a regular and sustained basis . Research published in the Journal of the American Medical Association suggests that regular exercise and a low-calorie diet can help treat erectile dysfunction in obese men. Regular exercise can also improve cardiovascular health, muscle strength, and general well-being. It can help promote a healthy sex life.
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol . Indeed, alcoholism can damage your nerves by causing a persistent soft erection. In any case, drinking alcohol is not recommended if you are taking oral treatment for your erectile dysfunction.
- Stop smoking . Smoking will clog your arteries.
- Go on a diet if you are overweight.
As for preventive measures regarding the psychological causes of your soft erection, it is advisable to increase your efforts in communication with your partner. Or a sex therapist who will allow you to take a point of view outside your situation.